What is identity theft?
Identity theft is a type of fraud that involves stealing money or gaining other benefits by pretending to be someone else. Identity theft can occur in many ways – from someone using your credit card illegally to make purchases to having your entire identity assumed by another person to open bank accounts, take out loans or conduct illegal business under your name. Having your identity stolen can be both financially and emotionally devastating.
Protect yourself from identity theft
Your identity might have been stolen if you’re:
- Getting unsolicited bills, Credit Card or Loan statements;
- Receiving calls from Creditors regarding debts that you know nothing about;
- Finding it hard to get a Credit Card or Loan due to an unexplained poor credit rating.
If you think your identity might have been stolen, you need to let us know as soon as possible by calling us or attending your nearest branch.
Tips to protect yourself from Identity Theft
- Don't open suspicious messages – delete them;
- Don’t respond to unsolicited emails or SMS’s asking for your personal or financial information;
- Be very careful about how much personal information you share on social network sites;
- Secure your networks and devices with anti-virus software and a good firewall;
- Put a lock on your mailbox and redirect mail when you move;
- Shred documents containing personal information before you throw them away;
- If a new card or product arrives in the mail that you didn't apply for, call the Bank it came from immediately;
- Regularly check your Credit File.
Support for victims of Identity Theft
Our staff will assist you with your concern/s regarding Identity Theft however the impacts of Identity Theft can be far reaching. We are partnered with IDCARE, Australia’s National Identity and Cyber Support Service; who provide expert Identity & Cyber Security Counsellors to support victims of Identity Fraud.
Browse our help topic
- What support is available to Delphi Bank customers?
- What happens if I defer my loan repayments?
- Are branches open?
- Am I still able to use ATMs and branches to get cash?
- Is my money safe with Delphi Bank?
- If I’m eligible for the assistance program, how could this affect my credit report?
- Am I still eligible for the assistance package even though I’m ahead on my mortgage repayments?
- When will Government Economic Support payments be processed?
- Are Online Banking transactions and payments affected by COVID-19?
- Can I wear my face covering in branch?
- Worried about scams involving COVID-19?
- Need more information on COVID-19?
- What happens when I get another job whilst receiving financial assistance?
- I'm ahead in my mortgage payments, can I still redraw?
- What is changing at Delphi Bank
- COVID-19 Support
- Financial Difficulty Assistance
- Updating Account Details
- Closing an Account
- Dispute a Transaction
- Regular Payments
- Financial Abuse
- Vulnerable Customer Support
- Deceased Estates
- Complaint and Dispute Resolution
- Identity Theft and Scams
- Accounting Software
- Debit Cards