Financial Difficulty Assistance
We understand there may be times when your personal circumstances change. You may experience an unexpected event or changes outside of your control. Perhaps you’ve lost your job, suffered an illness or injury or have been impacted by a natural disaster.
If, as a result, you can’t afford the minimum repayment on your loan or credit card, and you would like us to consider if we can provide you with financial difficulty assistance, please contact us immediately. The sooner you contact us the sooner we can try to help you.
In many instances assistance can be provided quickly and efficiently over the phone.
Alternatively, we may need to complete a more detailed assessment of your personal and financial circumstances to identify how we may be able to help you.
Financial Difficulty Assistance is available to you, whether you are an individual, joint account holder, guarantor or small business customer. If you have a joint account and you are experiencing financial difficulty, we can assist you individually if you request it.
If you would like to apply for assistance, please contact:
Mortgage Help Centre:
Other useful resources:
If you are experiencing financial difficulty, useful resources are available to you. These include:
- Our Financial Difficulty Guide.
- Our list of Frequently Asked Questions.
- Our Bushfire Assistance Package.
- The National Debt Helpline or website (ndh.org.au), which has easy to use, step-by-step guides on how to tackle debts. You can also call the National Debt Helpline on 1800 007 007 to talk to a financial counsellor for free, independent advice about your situation.
- The Financial Counselling Australia website www.financialcounsellingaustralia.org.au provides information on finding a financial counselling agency in your area.
- ASIC’s ‘MoneySmart’ website provides information and tools to help you make the most of your money. See www.moneysmart.gov.au
- The ABA’s ‘Financial Hardship’ website provides information about financial hardship, including what you can do if you are experiencing financial difficulties, how your bank can help, where to go for more information and how to apply for hardship assistance. See https://www.ausbanking.org.au/campaigns/financial-hardship/
Browse our help topic
- When will Government Economic Support payments be processed?
- Can my business borrow money at this time?
- Are Online Banking transactions and payments affected by COVID-19?
- I'm visiting a branch in Melbourne. Do I need to wear my face covering in-branch?
- Worried about scams involving COVID-19?
- Need more information on COVID-19?
- COVID-19 Support
- Financial Difficulty Assistance
- Online & Mobile Banking
- Applying Online
- Updating Account Details
- Closing an Account
- Dispute a Transaction
- Regular Payments
- Financial Abuse
- Vulnerable Customer Support
- Deceased Estates
- Complaint and Dispute Resolution
- Identity Theft and Scams
- Accounting Software
- Visa Debit Card